Sunday, October 11, 2009

Music for Sunday October 11th

A little recap of the music from Sanctuary1010 this morning.

We are in our 4th week of an 11 week series of Psalm 23. This week: He Restores my Soul

Music choices:

What Wondrous Love is This- (we did this hymn in Dm and added an extended 'worship jam' at the end)

Desert Song- ( we started this song with a drum beat that came out of the previous song- very nice! this is one of those songs that you hear once, and you end up singing the rest of the day! "I will sing praise, I will sing praise, no weapons formed against me shall remain!")

How He Loves (we do more of the David Crowder version of this one, and we do it in C. I really like the version by Kim Walker of Jesus Culture, but sing-ability wise, she goes way to low on the verse for anyone with a normal range to sing along. But her voice can certainly handle it with a cool sound at that. She starts low, so she can 'belt' out the chorus an octave higher, the energy that effect creates is amazing- check out the Jesus Culture arrangement here)

Amazing Grace/My Chains are Gone- (I, alto at best, did this one in D, and it works well for me, hope it worked for the congregation! :) )

Additional Worship Notes- We started the service with a meditative feel, rather than our typical greeting each other/announcement/welcome. I enjoyed the peacefulness of it, and the chance to take time to prayerfully enter the time of worship. Pastor asked me to look for some instrumental music. I did some searches for "christian instrumental" post rock, ambient. I didn't come up with anything really. How would one know if instrumental music was Christian or not anyway. (answer- you wouldn't) Either way, the search was fun, and I came across a couple bands that I had not heard of before, and would like to look into more- Foxhole, Mogwai. But low and behold, I actually came across the closest thing to the christian instrumental post-rock sound I was looking for in a band called Hammock. One of the members is familiar name from the Christian Worship scene- Marc Byrd (God of Wonders) Check out Hammock, with lots of full length samples of their music here Enjoy!

And... I had so much fun playing with our newer drummer Chris and new guitar player Bailey. Excellent musicians. Great time! Thanks guys!

----------
This post is part of an interesting 'blog carnival' where you can read about other worship/music sets from all around the world. Check it out right here

No comments:

Post a Comment