Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Love Hymns

Anyone who knows me, knows that  I LOVE HYMNS.  The depth of the lyrics, the melodies that seems to match the tone of every verse, the sound of people singing them with gusto.  A well written hymn is a thing of beauty.  Note I said- a well written hymn.  Not all are so. There are plenty that I personally don't care for.  And that's okay.  That said...
  Recently a guest pastor at our church chose a hymn I was not too familiar with.  I silently moaned and groaned about its dirge like qualities while I practiced it for the Sat night service.  Then during the service a funny thing happened, we sang the hymn, and during it my heart began to soften.  The congregation joined in easily, the reverent quality of the melody came through (no more 'dirgyness'!).  During the sermon, pastor mentioned the hymn and why he chose it and how it fit the gospel lesson for the day, and my heart softened even more.  Although I won't list the hymn in my super favorite hymn list, I will now, never forget it, its strong Easter message, and powerful Easter melody.

Christ Jesus lay in death’s strong bands,
For our offenses given;
But now at God’s right hand He stands,
And brings us life from Heaven.
Wherefore let us joyful be,
And sing to God right thankfully
Loud songs of Alleluia! Alleluia!
No son of man could conquer Death,
Such mischief sin had wrought us,
For innocence dwelt not on earth,
And therefore Death had brought us
Into thralldom from of old
And ever grew more strong and bold
And kept us in his bondage. Alleluia!

But Jesus Christ, God’s only Son,
To our low state descended,
The cause of Death He has undone,
His power forever ended,
Ruined all his right and claim
And left him nothing but the name,
His sting is lost forever. Alleluia!

Words:  Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment