Sunday, September 5, 2010

patting my stomach while rubbing my head



So, yesterday was the last day, of the first week of of my return to college after an eighteen year absence.  Phew!.  The first day is almost a blur, as this almost (but not quite) 40, woman, walked around campus, with everything I could possibly need pouring out of my way too heavy backpack. With my schedule in my pocket, and my classroom number locations printed carefully on the palm of my hand, where I could not lose them, I found each of my classes, AND managed to be on time!

By mid-week I felt like an old pro, well for sure old.  One of my home work assignments was to sing the do-re-mi song from Sound of Music (my favorite musical)  using Solfege. (solfege is the use of syllables-do, re, mi, etc, in the sight singing process).  Okay, okay, it goes kinda like this... sing it with me now

Do re mi do mi do mi
re mi fa fa mi re fa
mi fa sol mi sol mi sol
fa sol la la sol fa la
so do re mi fa so la
la re mi fa sol la ti
ti mi fa so la ti do
do ti la fa ti so do!


Yeah, that took me awhile to figure out, now I can't sing a song without thinking of it in solfege!
In the very same class the professor sent us home with the task of practicing conducting with our right hand,  while, tapping eighth notes with our left hand, while sight reading... while using that darn solfege.  All I can say is, there is a reason college students usually are in the 18-23 range!  Younger, quicker minds...

Slow mind or not, I am excited about the school year ahead, excited about using what I learn right away in my work at church, excited about being a good example to my teenage boys.  I love to learn, and there is so much out there to learn.  Here we go!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ellen! What an adventure! It will be a great year, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete