Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Music for Sunday September 6

A little bit of this and a little bit of that.

I enjoyed choosing the music for this Sunday's Sanctuary service, mixing and matching styles and decades. I don't like to call it blended, I'd say more of a convergence. And even though I think Pastor J may "disapprove" of my use of a dictionary definition... here we go anyway.

From Merriam-Webster's online dictionary:


Main Entry: con·ver·gence
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈvər-jən(t)s\
Function: noun
Date: 1713
1 : the act of converging and especially moving toward union or uniformity; especially : coordinated movement of the two eyes so that the image of a single point is formed on corresponding retinal areas2 : the state or property of being convergent 3 : independent development of similar characters (as of bodily structure of unrelated organisms or cultural traits) often associated with similarity of habits or environment4 : the merging of distinct technologies, industries, or devices into a unified whole


So the songs for Sunday at Sanctuary

Nothing Can Trouble : Taize piece- sang through 2x, read a Psalm verse, sang, Psalm and so on. By the end of the Psalm, the congregation was singing accapella with me off mic. Beautiful!

You are My all in all: (key of F into G) The first time I have used this at Sanctuary in our 6 years! Of course everyone sang their hearts out, on this old favorite.

Blessed Be Your Name: We use this song quite a bit (too much) so I went from the final chorus of You are My all in All right into the prechorus of Blessed Be Your Name....'every blessing you pour out'. We didn't even sing the verses this week. I also took a chance, and during the bridge... 'you give and take away' I asked the ladies to sing the first time by themselves, and then the second time asked the guys, and then the 3rd time asked them to sing it together. I'm not sure if it sounded corny, me asking them to that, but the musical and community singing effect really worked!

It is Well (the hymn) simple piano arrangement, simple vocals.
How he Loves (John Mark McMillan) this was the second week we have used this great song, we use David Crowder's arrangement. Once you catch on to the creatively written verses, you can't really get this one out of your head.

Be the Center (or is it Centre?) Okay this song is written in 4/4, but I accidentally slipped into 3/4 when I introduced in, and just stuck with it. It works, pretty much. Has anyone else who has used that song done that? accidentally, uh on purpose?

Additional notes about the service: The theme was, keeping Jesus at the Center, and the Creating Sacred Space team ( I just made up a name for the ever faithful art team) put the communion table in the very center of the worship space., behind, infront and along side of all those gathered. Nice!

Overall Great Sunday of awesome singing by the congregation! Old songs new songs, hard songs repetitive songs, it didn't matter. Beautiful!


Check out more beautiful Sunday morning worship sets from all around the world at Fred McKinnon's worship set blog right HERE

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Ellen. Thanks for your creative structure for the whole service!

    ReplyDelete