Friday, April 3, 2009

Concert a Week - #3

This past Saturday I found myself with one day left to find a concert to fulfil the requirements for my self assigned concert a week project. Fortunately, around 8pm that night, my oldest son begged my to take him to Best Buy, so he could buy a very important, item for his even more important, video game console, and I happily took him.

After quickly choosing the needed item, we headed to the check out, where, I looked down and saw a stack of flyers for, what da ya know... a concert... right there at Best Buy...Sun March 29th at 2:30...Jim Peterik. FREE.


The next day, I found myself standing, with about 100 other people, listening to Jim Peterik, founding member of Survivor and Ides of March, and writer of...wait... Eye of the Tiger!

Jim was there promoting his newest recording project, Lifeforce, which I read described as smooth jazz. Listening to it, especially the first song, "Joy", reminded me of the sound of The Peter Mayer Group, who has had some incredible concerts at our church for the last 3 years.

With Jim, was a jazz singer, Lisa McClowry, who I think many in the audience knew, as well as an amazing Flute/sax player, Steve Eiesen ( I love jazz flute), and Jeff Lantz? on keys. Jeff managed to cover the bass part as well as middle rhythm piano, and some great lead parts.

Favorites-

The band did a couple covers of some of Jim's most popular earlier tunes, surprisingly these ended up being my favorites:

-Eye of the Tiger- the song seems almost made for this smooth jazz sound. really!
-Vehicle

PS- The venue
Have you checked out these music stores in the Best Buys? Sooo cute! They are like mini Sam Ashs' or Guitar Centers. The selection is small, and probably expensive, but a great place to go and pick up something quick. ( I bought my other son a capo while I was there). The Best Buy folks squeezed Jim and company into a small section of this store, and we all crowded around for a very up close and personal experience. Good times

2 comments:

  1. I saw Jim Pererik at a Border's Books when he was pitching "Songwriting For Dummies" which he co-wrote.

    Good performer. Funny guy.

    I'll have to do the "Concert A Week" challenge.

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I challenge you to the concert a week challenge!

    ReplyDelete