Friday, April 10, 2009

Concert a Week - #4

I've always wanted to hear an organ trio, an organ trio is usually made up of an organ player on a Hammond, a drummer and some sort of other instrument (or two) like guitar and/or sax. Living in the Chicago area, the opportunities to attend an organ trio show are pretty unlimited. Unfortunately I have yet to make the effort to get into the city for these unlimited opportunities.

So instead, this week for my concert of the week, On Sunday April 5th at 3pm I settle for The Amelia Piano Trio, playing through the Downers Grove Concert Association's Artists showcase West. Just a short jaunt from my home this was very convenient!

The Trio made up of piano, violin and cello performed
Trio, Andante con moto in C minor by Edvard Grieg
Trio in G major, Op. 1, No 2 by Ludwig van Beethoven
Trio in F minor, Op 54 by Antonin Dvorak

Favorites-
I enjoyed the Grieg piece, particularly because of the tone and blend of the violin and cello accompanying the piano, it was warm and soothing
In Dvorak's defense I had to leave the concert early so I didn't hear any of it to make it a favorite..
But I also enjoyed the Scherzo section of the Beethoven, which reminded me of the melody that goes with the song I sing with my sons which goes kind of like this:

"... Joe had a head like a ping pong ball, Joe had a head like a ping pong ball, Joe had a head like a ping pong ball, ping pong ball,- Joe had a head like a ping pong, ping pong, ping pong, ping pong, ping pong ball, Joe had a head like a ping pong, ping pong, ping pong, ping pong, (and down the scale) ping, ping, ping, ping, ping, ping, ping, ping, (and back up) pong, pong, pong, pong, pong, pong, pong, pong,pong HEY!..."

The melody? The William Tell Overture! (or the theme from The Lone Ranger as you will see here)


Another thing I appreciated it was the ability to seat myself, and seat myself in the less crowded balcony which lended a great view, and sound, but allowed me to relax a bit more and enjoy the music.

Finally, although this concert was a bit pricey, I really enjoyed the hour long pre-concert talk (of which I was 1/2 hour late to) that is standard to all of the Artist Showcase West Concerts Very informative, I think I might become a member to this local Concert series.

Still looking forward to that Organ trio!


No comments:

Post a Comment