Sunday, April 12, 2009

Music for Sunday April 12th

He is Risen- He is Risen Indeed - Hallelujah!

I love Easter Sunday, from the sweet smell of lilies pouring out of the church doors, when we open them for the sunrise service, to the organ, trumpets and timpani, accompanying the congregation on the great Easter hymns! What an awesome day!

At North campus- early and middle service were traditional services, supported by the organ, brass, bells and chancel choir, but at the final service at 10:30, the praise band, choir, and children's choir also participated, creating a blended service of sorts. 475 joined us for worship at the 10:30, stretching the seams of the church in the best way possible! Praise God for this!

Pre-service- Handbells- A Jubilant Psalm- wish I remembered composers name- good piece

Processional Hymn- Jesus Christ Is Risen today- excellent arrangement by Cynthia Dobrinski incorporating brass, a creative handbell part, an exuberant organ, and of course the congregation

song- The Wonder of Your Cross
sermon hymn- Jesus Lives the Victory's One
offering song with the kids choir- All the Earth will sing Your praises
song- Alleluia, Alleluia ( a fun arrangement from Praise Charts, based on the tune of Ode to Joy)


Closing Hymn- I Know My Redeemer Lives- (an excellent arrangement for organ/brass/choir and congregation by Paul Bunjes- and an Easter tradition for us here at Immanuel)

Notes- I'm not sure how I feel about a service that is blended instrumentally, as in making use of organ etc as well a praise band. I do know that I feel quite comfortable using hymns and songs from all generations all in one service, but I'm just not sure about switching back and forth from organ to band. That said I thought everything went well, and flowed great this morning!

One thing: I was very excited to do "The Wonder of Your Cross", Pastor had the congregation sit down for the song and then 75% of them just looked and listened, and did not sing along. I think they thought it was a performance piece, which it was not intended to be. Granted, many of the people coming to our Easter services have come to expect traditionally accompanied hymns, and the remaining folks are visitors, quite possibly not familiar with any of our songs anyway.

For me, I loved the service, (despite my tiny disappointment about people not singing very loud on "the Wonder"...thanks Phil for encouraging them to sing out!). I'm still not sure that trying to do all musically at one service is the best way to reach people... Then again, it is Easter Sunday celebration, why not use all the wonderful gifts and musical talents that Immanuel has to offer? What do you think? Your thoughts are welcome

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Music at Sanctuary

Nathan Fisher worship led along with Andy on bass and Byron on drums over at Sanctuary- Thanks guys!

You can find the set list for Sanctuary here at Planning Center

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you like to find out what music other churches around the world used for Easter Sunday?
Check out Fred McKinnon's Blog

3 comments:

  1. I can understand your disappointment about "The Wonder of the Cross". I think there is a big difference between listening to a song and singing it; something happens when you join in. I'm not familiar with the song so I chased down the lyrics and listened to it on You Tube: a very thoughtful and powerful selection; more about God and the Story, and less about me. I may take another look at it.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen...first time at your blog, and enjoyed sharing in your Easter worship experience with that amazing range of instrumentation. I enjoyed reading about it all. God bless you, David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome that you included the Kid's Choir in your Easter Celebration.

    ReplyDelete