Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The hills are alive

Last Saturday evening I settled down for The Sound of Music... 4 hours long with commercials, on ABC Family channel. From the very first note Maria sings on the top of the hill, the nostalgia kicks in. I know the majority of this musical by heart, and I do not consider myself a repeat movie watcher. In fact, I never quite understand the idea of watching movies over and over again, when you could be watching a new one you haven't seen. But after watching it Saturday night, believe it or not, I looked for it again on TV Sunday night, in its traditional spot, Easter Sunday, but it seemingly was replaced with Charlton Heston's Ten Commandments (which I have never seen, and didn't end up watching, it's no Sound of Music after all!).
Watching The Sound of Music, and singing along with the songs, is a complete joy to me. I'm pretty sure its the familiarity of the thing, kind of like comfort food, in a way. I get the same effect watching The Andy Williams Christmas Special, which my mom picked up from pledging to a PBS fund drive. Thank you mom! I have been listening to Andy Williams sing "Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas" since I was a little girl, sitting with my ear up to the speaker singing along to the record. Just imagine the DVD... Andy Williams and brothers performing my favorite Christmas tunes, on The Andy William's show, with terribly fake sets and backdrops, and saccharine sweetness, and The Osmand brothers, and again, for me, nostalgia, joy, comfort!

What is your comfort TV show/movie/song/record?

PS Anyone know where I can find a "sing-along" Sound of Music?

No comments:

Post a Comment