Thursday, March 12, 2009

In Harmony

Last night I had the pleasure of attending a harmony workshop put on as part of the Acoustic Roots Workshop series with Mark Dvorak www.markdvorak.com, and instructors from the Old Town School of Folk Music www.oldtownschool.org

If I lived close to The Old Town, and had the money and time I would indulge in many of their class offerings, including, but not limited to- the accordion. I don't have an accordion, but if you do, and want to lend me yours, let me know- I'll take good care of it!

The workshop was 2 hours of inspiring conversation and heartfelt singing from those gathered. I came away enjoying the event for the social aspect, but also with plenty of ideas to help teach harmony singing. In fact tonight at practice I used a little "drill" we used at the workshop last night. I asked the group to sing Amazing Grace vs1 only, from memory of course, and repeated it a number of times. The first time through I asked them to just listen, and then as the song went on, to sing out any harmony they heard (even if they didn't think it was right). It worked well.

Last night at the workshop we sang a song I had never heard before called "The Waters of Babylon" based on Psalm 137:1. it is written in a minor key, and sung as a round.

(part 1)By the waters, the waters of Babylon
(part 2)We lay down and wept, and wept for thee Zion
(part 3)We remember, we remember, we remember thee Zion

I am trying to figure out who wrote the song we sang last night, as I found a different version which is a fairly well known reggae song sung first by The Melodians, and covered by many since, including, Sinead O Connor and Sublime.

I finally ran across a version by Don McLean, apparently when he sings it in concert, the whole audience participates in the round... but I still can't figure out if he actually wrote the haunting melody. Then I found this video of the song being sung by a group of singers from Canada. Just in case you really like their sound, they also cover Beatles tunes :) :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhIgrjQjPQ

I think I'll try this out at Sanctuary some time

No comments:

Post a Comment