Sunday, March 8, 2009

An Introduction


What does it take to create a missional music ministry? I work as music director at a wonderful Lutheran church in the suburbs of Chicago. I spend most of my time planning and coordinating people for a weekly contemporary worship service, and a second off campus, "postmodern" style worship. I love choosing music, and creating worship services that will engage the congregation, and help them to truly meet Jesus face to face.

Recently I have been thinking more about how we as church musicians can take our music "out of the Sanctuary" and into the streets. What does this mean? I'm not sure exactly. What I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean, is the idea of putting a band together to go play christian rock at a local festival or band shell, or inviting people from the neighborhood into our church to hear our bands play on Sunday morning. These are fine ideas in themselves, but... I'm still thinking.

What I hope to record in this blog, is the typical "going ons" and planning process of my typical church musician week, with the ongoing prayer that God direct me and those involved in the music ministry to continue to grow in servanthood and love for our community and world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment