Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Concert a Week - #1 (and 2)

A number of years ago, my sister and I attended a concert together, after which, we swore to each other that for that summer we would make plans to get together for at least one concert each week. 12 weeks later, we had certainly relaxed more, spent more time with our families, and enjoyed the summer weather, but had not seen even one more concert! In memory of that pact between Cindy and myself, I would like to try again.

One concert a week, 'that's not hard to do' you say? I challenge you too, to do the same and report back with me weekly. My goal of seeing 1 concert a week, will not be difficult in the respect that I live in an amazingly culture filled metropolis. I will try to vary the styles of music, trying to hear some genres that I wouldn't normally pick. I also will be trying to make as many of these weekly concerts, the ones with FREE plainly advertised. The real key will be finding, well, making the time.

Weeks 1 and 2 are already in the bag!

Concert #1- Saturday March 14th- Concordia University Chicago Kapelle

Stacy our field worker from Concordia and her husband sing in this group, so I decided, hey, why not? I came in late to nearly standing room only in Concordia's large chapel. I ended up sitting in front of a couple students, who thought they were being quiet enough whispering (wasn't working), so at intermission I made my way towards the front. The choir was good, and sang many songs from memory. I always enjoy college choirs, for the female voices have matured, but still have a sweet tone, with little vibrato.

Favorites:

Lamentations of Jeremiah - Carl Schalk

In Paradisum - Edwin Fissinger ( a must hear! ps the video is not of Kapelle) www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FIeE3Uj_dE

Mude bin Ich - Thomas Gieschen

----------------------------------------

Concert #2-Sunday March 22 - Kevin Radtke, tenor and Andrew Fleser, piano

Kevin is a son of the congregation, and the son of our amazing secretary Barb. The concert was performed from the front of the church, up the 3 stairs towards the Communion rail, where 5 strong men...er...people, including our amazing secretary Barb, had moved the grand piano. The second half of the concert was performed from the balcony with organ. Kevin has extensive training and experience in opera graduating with a Masters in vocal performance from Westminster Choir College, and agreed to come and perform for Immanuel's 100th anniversary concert series. I admittedly am not too familiar with opera, but really enjoyed Kevin's presentation, voice and expression. There was a great turn out for this concert, including a number of people from the community. Thanks Kevin, come again soon!

Favorites:

The Tree of Life (shades mountain) K. Lee Scott- (a beautiful hymn that I had not heard before)
Selection from Ten Blake Songs- The Divine Image - Ralph Vaughan Williams

1 comment: