Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Computer illiterate

I consider myself ridiculoulsy incompentent when it comes to using computers. Its a wonder, that I can send an email, or even manage a blog. My 15 year old son came home from school the other day, and typed a few things on my computer, and managed to make a web page...with just a few #'s and /'s. Html is it? I don't know!

Even in college the idea of using a word processing program instead of a typewriter, yes an electric one, stressed me out.

Who would have known that technology would be such an important part of the effectiveness of a director of worship music?

What I would give to be able to navigate computer recording programs, or even comprehend the things I would need to purchase to make one useful to me. I have taken numerous workshops at worship conferences on the infamous "MIDI", and still think its something that you can buy and plug in to your keyboard. I am only slowly figuring out the free version of Finale, and just two days ago tested out Audacity, with which I amazingly did what I needed to do, but can now not figure out how to export my creation as an mp3 file.

Speaking of mp3, I bought an mp3 player...sansa something, recently, and have even downloaded some tracks (it's way to easy), but have still yet to even try the thing, and still insist on buying most of my music at local stores, in the hard copy form.

Last night I spent hours...hours trying to figure out how to "link" a page to a page on our church's website. I'm 99% sure this is a simple process, but I could not figure it out.

HELP!

2 things-

I believe I should be trying harder to seek out those in our church, who have gifts and talents in these areas. God has blessed us all with different abilities, and even a 10 year old could do better then me when it comes to stuff having to do with computers (have you seen those new Windows commercials?)

I know that many christian colleges and universities have music degrees that focus more on the contemporary worship angle now? I would have to assume that technology is a large part of these educations. As a member of the LCMS I can relate best to our Concordia University system, and am pretty sure, we do not have such a focus. I can imagine at least 2 semesters worth of tech material (including sound board operation etc), that would be extremely helpful to our future Directors of Music. I'd be the first to sign up for these classes!

By the way, I'm trying to figure out how to post a song directly into one of these posts. If you can help me learn how (okay), or just do it for me (much better), I'd really appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment